Monday, January 05, 2004

First Day Introductions

Why do professors persist in making every student in the class introduce himself on the first day of class? A) In a large class, no one can possibly remember every name. B) It's two weeks before the drop deadline, so significant numbers of students may drop or add, rendering the process irrelevent. C) It's boring, especially in a class so large it's impossible to get to know everyone. One wonders why professors can't wait a week or two, at least, if they insist on taking class time to do another round of formula introductions. Perhaps I'm just bitter because one of my classes this morning spent five minutes on the syllabus and an hour on introductions.

UPDATE: Sure enough, I dropped the class. I hope the professor spent lots of time memorizing my name.

No comments: